Winterize Your Roof Before the Snow & Ice Appear
Winterizing Your Roof
- Eliminate any low hanging tree branches and other vegetation near your roof. Ice and snow can accumulate on trees and branches, weighing them down until they snap. Save yourself some stress and even possibly money by trimming back your branches before a Winter storm hits.
- Check your roof for signs of pest infestation and check for weak spots that an animal might exploit in order to stay warm. Mice, squirrels and raccoons might see your home as a shelter from the cold winter weather and they can cause major damage if they get inside.
- Remove leaves and other fallen debris from your roof and gutters. During the Fall season, your roof can quickly become covered in leaves, acorns and branches. This debris can help trap moisture on your roof, which can lead to other problems. It can also clog your gutters. To ensure that water flows away from your home so it can't cause any damage, its important to clean out your gutters. If your gutters are clogged, they can't do their job.
- Once you have the roof cleaned off, carefully inspect it for any damages. Look for loose or missing flashing around the chimney and vent stacks. Check the shingles for any tearing, curling or missing ones. Keep your eyes out for shingle granules because they are a sign of serious wear and tear. If you notice any damages or would just prefer a professional opinion, give Above & Beyond Roofing a call at 573-302-0354.
- Check your attic insulation because it plays an important role in protecting your home and roof throughout the winter. As the sunshine heats the roof and melts the snow and ice, the moisture can cause damage and possible ice dams. Having sufficient attic insulation will help prevent excess changes in temperature and reduce the risk of damaging your roof.
- If your home is in an area that typically sees a lot of snow and ice, you might consider purchasing heat cables. Heat cables help your roof and gutters perform their best even in the freezing Winter temperatures. The cables are strategically placed on your roof to help melt away snow and ice without damaging your roof.
If you have any doubts about your roof lasting through the Winter, give your Lake of the Ozarks roofer a call at 573-302-0354. We'll come out and inspect your roof for FREE! By taking the time to check your roof now, you can save yourself money on monthly bills and avoid those costly repairs.
At Above & Beyond Roofing, we pride ourselves on being locally owned and operated, being open 7- days a week, and we turn the average roofing job in one day! Contact Ben or Melissa for a free estimate on your next project at 573-302-0354!
Be sure to LIKE us on Facebook, Follow us on Twitter, Connect with Melissa on LinkedIn and Subscribe to our Blog!!