Roofing problems can be present long before you see any leaks. By the time a roof leak occurs, major roofing problems may already be developing. Hidden leaks are often the most dangerous, as they can slowly and silently grow until they reach a tipping point. It can be difficult to know when your roof needs repaired, which is why it's important to take advantage of our free roof inspections at the Lake of the Ozarks at least twice per year. Addressing the leak and repairing it early can prevent minor roof repairs from turning into major issues.
Consequences of Roof Leaks
If not addressed in a timely manner, a roof leak can lead to all sorts of other issues. Some of the most common problems you can expect include:
- Wet Insulation - If water drips onto your insulation, it can clump and lose it's effectiveness to regulate the heat in your home. You could see an increase in your electric bill due to hot air escaping through the ceiling.
- Mold & Mildew - Mold is likely to develop anywhere on the roof deck or framing where water is present. Clumped insulation is also a great environment for mold to grow. Mold in your home is very dangerous and can lead to illness and respiratory issues for your family.
- Water Damage - Be sure to inspect your attic for water damage. Not only can water damage the ceiling, causing it to need repairs or replacement, but it can damage any items you have stored in the attic.
- Caving Ceiling - Overtime, water pooling in your attic from a leak can lead to your ceiling caving in from the weight of the water.
- Structural Deterioration - When a roof has a leak, the water often times runs down along the roof decking. Eventually this moisture can lead to wood rot, and the roof deck can start to deteriorate. This can happen slowly over years before you even notice, but by then, the repairs are quite expensive.
- Fire Hazard - If water leaks onto any electrical wires in the attic, you could experience wire shorts, which can cause a fire.
Roof leaks are not something to put on the back burner. Call Above & Beyond Roofing at 573-302-0354 to schedule an appointment for a free roof repair estimate at the Lake of the Ozarks. By addressing minor issues now, you'll avoid costly repairs down the road.