Problems with Moisture on Your Commercial Roof
It's important to keep an eye your commercial roof at the Lake of the Ozarks at all times. Moisture on your roof can cause issues and you'll want to be aware of what can happen because if your roof is not doing its job, it can cause your business to shut down. Our roofing company at the Lake of the Ozarks wants to inform local business owners of the problems associated with moisture on commercial roofs. Read on to learn more!
Commercial RoofsJust like your residential roof protects your home and its contents, a commercial roof is designed to protect your business from the elements. The roof is a commercial building's first line of defense against wind, rain, snow, sleet, ice, etc. It is also the most vulnerable part of your building, and therefore, must be continuously inspected, maintained and repaired. Leaks and roof collapse on a commercial building can lead to the shut down of your facility and a lot of lost income. Taking care of your commercial roof will make it easier for you to take care of your business.
Moisture Related Commercial Roof IssuesWhile signs of a serious problem may be apparent from inside the building, other issues may not be quite as visible to the untrained eye. Water stains on the ceiling signify there's probably a leak somewhere, which is likely the result of a damaged roof. An unexplained odor or signs of mold could be the result of water penetration through the roof. These issues are easy to spot, but it's also important to have your commercial roof at the Lake of the Ozarks inspected regularly to identify any problems that haven't surfaced in the interior of the building yet. By catching issues early on, you can avoid more costly repairs down the road.
Visuals to Look ForAs a business owner, there are certain things you can look for to determine if you have a moisture or water issue with your roof or might have one in the near future:
- Prolonged standing water on your roof. (This is a common problem for almost all commercial flat roofs.)
- Blistering or peeling of paint, inside the building, and on the exterior. (Moisture can seep down through the roof and run along walls, creating problems nowhere near where the actual leak began.)
- Wood rot and/or moist insulation in the attic of your building.
- Bubbles or blisters in your shingles.
- Gaps in the roof flashing.
- Deteriorating seals around skylights.
- Improper gutters or drainage systems. (While there may not be a roofing issue yet, improper drainage of water from your roof can lead to ice dams and major roofing problems.)
- Increased utility costs. (If your roof is letting too much air escape or build up inside the attic, not only will your utility costs be affected, but there's the likelihood of a leak showing up after the next rain or snow storm.)
It's a great practice to take initiative to keep an eye on your commercial roof, but the best way to ensure your business' roof is doing its job is to have it regularly checked by a professional roofer at the Lake of the Ozarks. Above & Beyond Roofing offers FREE roof inspections at the Lake of the Ozarks and estimates so it's easy to ensure your roof is in tip-top shape! Give us a call at 573-302-0354 to schedule your inspection!