The Importance of Gutters
If not controlled properly, rain water can wreak havoc on your home. That's where your gutter system comes in. The purpose of gutters on a home is to collect rain water as it runs off the roof and transport it away from the foundation of the home. This not only helps you avoid water damage and leaks involving your roof, but can prevent foundation issues and possible basement flooding. The benefits of properly installed and maintained gutters include:
- Avoided foundation problems
- Prevention of basement flooding
- Prevention of landscape erosion
- Soil stabilization around the home
- Avoided water damage to siding, brick, etc.
- Lessened settling and cracking of sidewalks, patios and driveways
- Preservation of doors and windows
- Reduced roofing problems, such as leaks and water damage
- Prevention of mold development
- Prevention of rot and rusting of building materials
- Avoided mosquito infestation, associated with standing water
Keeping Your Gutters Maintained
Maintaining your gutters is relatively easy. The most important thing you can do to ensure they're working properly is to regularly clean out any debris that may have built up. This is particularly important to do before winter hits, as the leaves fall off the trees during the fall season and can easily clog gutters. However, its important that you clean your gutters about every 3 months. In addition to keeping them clean, it's important that you make sure they remain in the correct position. Strong storms can easily dislodge gutters, making them unable to properly drain water away from the foundation of your home. If your gutters are bent, punctured, etc., consider having them repaired or replaced by a professional.
Spring has sprung and you want to make sure your gutters are up to the task of dealing with spring showers. If you're in need of new gutters, trust Above & Beyond Roofing to get the job done. While the majority of our Lake of the Ozarks home improvement projects focus on roofing, we also install gutters and siding. Give us a call at 573-302-0354 for an estimate on your next gutter, siding or roofing project at the Lake of the Ozarks.