11 Fun Facts About Dad's Day
The first Father’s Day was in 1910 on June 19, coincidentally the same day it falls this year. This is a day that children honor their dads, typically with gifts and cards. In 1966, President Lyndon Johnson issued the first presidential proclamation honoring fathers. Six years later, Father’s Day was made a permanent national holiday, and set to be observed on the third Sunday in June. To kick off your Father’s Day weekend, Above and Beyond Roofing has come up with some fun facts about this holiday dedicated to dads!
1. According to the census, 70.1 million men are fathers in the United States. Of those, about 2 million of them are single fathers.
2. About $12.7 billion is spent on Father’s Day annually.
3. Greeting card sales for this holiday is the fourth highest, with over 74 million cards sold.
4. Wives buy about 20% of Father’s Day cards for their husband annually.
5.In Germany, men drink at beer gardens all day on Father’s Day.
6. There are over 200,000 stay-at-home dads according to the U.S. census.
8.The year 1500 is the earliest the word “dad” has been traced back to. It is believed to originate from the sound a child makes in early stages of talking.
9.It is estimated that 53% of Americans are unsure of what they are purchasing for their Fathers just days before the holiday.
10. A necktie is the most common gift that is given on Father’s Day.
11. Over 1/3 of Father’s Day cards are humorous.
Now that you have some fun facts about Father’s Day to get you in the spirit, plan something special for Dad this weekend. This tradition was started over 100 years ago to honor your father on this day each year. The best roofing company at the Lake of the Ozarks is here to remind you (if you are part of that 53%) to pick up something nice for dad this weekend to show him you appreciate all he does! Happy Father’s Day to all the dads out there!